Monday, April 30, 2012

Crafty Weekend

So, one of my friends wanted a big chalkboard that’s also magnetic for her kitchen.  We headed to a local antique mall and she found a big old frame already painted in a super light robin’s egg blue and ruffed up a bit…perfect!
IMG_3968
It had a mirror in it, but that’s okay.  We took off the old frame backing and removed the mirror.  There were a million little staples very tightly holding the mirror in, so it took quite a bit of elbow grease. 
IMG_3966IMG_3967
After that we picked up a piece of sheet metal at Home Depot and cut it with tin snips to fit the frame insert.  Something to note…aluminum sheeting is NOT sheet metal and it’s NOT magnetic…just sayin.  Not that we bought aluminum sheeting and cut it just to find out that our magnets didn’t stick.  Nope, not us, we didn’t do that!
IMG_3975
Of course the sheet metal didn’t fit exactly as expected, so it took some trimming to get it just right.  Does this always happen to everyone or just me? 
IMG_3977
The next step was to paint the sheet metal with about a gazillion coats of chalkboard paint.  Actually it was about 5 or 6 coats, but it felt like a gazillion!  Even with all those coats it’s not a perfectly even black surface, but it’s pretty close. 
IMG_3981IMG_3980
Now, instead of of putting the big, heavy original frame backing back on, we decided to pick up some foam core and good old Duck Tape.  We put the chalkboard into the frame, backed it with foam core we cut to size and taped it all around with the Duck Tape. 
IMG_3998IMG_3996 
Here’s the finished board.  It works great and it’s magnetic.  Not that pathetic, almost not existent magnetic strength you get with magnetic paint, but a super strong magnetic hold. 
IMG_4005
While we had the chalkboard paint out, we made these basket labels using a package of little wooden signs we got at Michaels. 
IMG_3993
I also made this magnetic chalkboard for my office door at work.  The frame is from Cut it Out and the wooden flower cut-out came from Pick Your Plum.  I just painted the frame and mod podged some scrapbook paper onto the flower.  I sanded both and used some antiquing gel.  I love how it turned out. 
IMG_4010
Here’s another project using a Cut it Out frame, but this one is scrapbook paper over a sheet metal insert to make it magnetic for hanging notes or photos. 
IMG_3987


Now, what’s the next project going to be?? 

Linking up at Somewhat Simple...
Somewhat Simple

5 comments:

Amy said...

I'm impressed. Those are pretty big projects and they turned out great!

mrslauralynn said...

It looks great, I've got a chalkboard in my kitchen but now I wish it was magnetic :)

My Dream Canvas said...

I love it. This looks amazing. I am visiting you via the party at Somewhat Simple. I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas.

sierrasmom said...

Love it...have been thinking of something similar for our new kitchen to put the magnets I have collected!!

Nicole said...

Love that idea! We have a big chalkboard that I made out of an old painting but I never thought to put aluminum behind it! Might have to do a project redo!