Monday, January 3, 2011

Menu plan for the week…

One of my resolutions for the new year is to sit down each week and make a dinner plan and grocery list. I’m hoping it will help us cut way down on eating out, save some money, try some new recipes and eat a whole lot better.

To make me more accountable, I’m going to post my weekly menu plan here along with recipes when I have a success. I’ll spare you all from the bad ones.

Here’s this week’s plan along with a rice recipe that will be a new staple in our house. I'm also linking to Menu Plan Monday, where you will find TONS of great menu ideas.

Today

Fish Tacos (sautéed tilapia on white corn tortillas and shredded red cabbage topped with cilantro lime sour cream sauce)
Cilantro Lime Rice (recipe below)
TuesdayParty
WednesdayWeekly play date for me and Lauren
ThursdayPad Thai Noodles with Shrimp
FridayChicken Tacos

Cilantro Lime Rice
In a blender or food processor, combine 1 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves, 1/4 chopped white onion, 2 garlic cloves, season with kosher salt and ground pepper. Blend until combined, add 1 and 3/4 cups of water and blend until combined.

In a medium saucepan, heat a little olive oil, add 1 cup long-grain white rice and stir to coat. All herb mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook about 15 min. Turn heat to low, squeeze in the juice from half or a whole lime and fluff with a fork. Serves 4.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Does the cilantro lime rice taste like the rice at Chipotle? My kids would think I was a rock star if I could make something taste like Chipotle!

Kim said...

YUMMY...
Great week..

Lisa and Tate said...

I love this idea.... looking forward to menu ideas and new recipes!

Reneeks@gmail.com said...

I am loving this idea! Great resolution, I have thought about this too...but never have good ideas.. I will be checking out your site!

Polar Bear said...

I have needed to menu plan for a long time. I keep saying I going to start and then suddenly the week is here and I am again scrambling for dinner ideas that usually means I'm throwing something boring together that's not very exciting because I have a hungry toddler wanting food.

After reading this post earlier this week I decided to get started. I have been looking for recipes, plotting, and planning. I don't have a really cool board like yours, but I do have notes!
Thanks for the kick to get me started!

S
(Bear and Z will thank you too, I'm sure.) ;o)