Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Iced coffee…

The Pioneer Women’s recent post on cold brewing coffee to make yummy iced coffee drinks at home totally motivated me to experiment with this.  Every morning at work we head over to Starbucks and spend anywhere from $2.50 on iced coffee to $5 on iced espresso drinks.  This costs $13 to $25 per week!  Ugh…not good!

After some poking around on-line for the best system to use, I decided on the Toddy Cold Brew System.  I figured the money I would save at Starbucks pays for this in two weeks and it seems easier than the process Pioneer Women describes in her post. 

IMG_2163

So, here’s how it works.  Turn the brew basket upside down and place the plug in the hole…

IMG_2165

It came with two of these filters…

IMG_2166

The filter goes into the inset in the bottom of the brew basket…

IMG_2167

Like this…

IMG_2168

Then you fill it with 1lb of ground coffee and 9 cups of cold water (alternating coffee and water to saturate all the grounds).  Cover it with plastic wrap and stick it in the frig for 12 hours. 

IMG_2160

I started it brewing yesterday when I got home from work and then this morning when I got up it was ready to go.  At this point you just remove the plug from the bottom of the brew basket while holding it over the carafe and set the brewer right on top of the carafe.  It fits perfectly and all the water dripped right through the filter without any grounds getting through.  It took about 20 minutes or so. 

IMG_2161   

What you’re left with is a carafe full of liquid gold!  It’s a coffee concentrate so if you want regular strength coffee they say to add 1% liquid gold and 3% water or milk.  I’m going to totally start experimenting with this and when I find the perfect combination of gold, cream, syrup, etc. I’ll let you all know!   ;)

I anyone already uses this system and has a drink perfected, I would love to hear about it! 

1 comment:

Lisa~~ said...

I've never seen this system but I've cold brewed coffee for years using 8oz. ground coffee in a 1 gallon container then fill the container; let it brew for 12 or more hours then pour through a coffee filter lined sieve into a second gallon container and have my concentrate. Enjoy your coffee.